Each year the membership of the International Informix Users Group elects its Board of Directors. Anyone who became an IIUG member at least a month prior to the election is eligible to vote via online ballot at IIUG Ballots. This year the new Board of Directors will be installed on 28 April 2017.
The election is a democratic process whereby the candidates who get the most votes and confirm their interest to serve in a timely manner after being contacted with the results will be confirmed as elected. To avoid potential conflicts of interest, votes are automatically tallied and manually validated by the members of the IIUG Nominating Committee who are not standing for election.
The IIUG Board of Directors election is overseen by a Nominating Committee that supervises both the nomination process and the election. The members of Nominating Committee are appointed by the current Board of Directors.
2017 Election Timeline
|13 Feb 2017||Nominations Open|
|27 Feb 2017||Nominations Close|
|13 Mar 2017||Election Announced|
|17 Apr 2017||Start of Election|
|1 May 2017||End of Election|
|15 May 2017||Election Result Officially Declared|
Notes to the above
- Nominations must be made by email to the Election Commissioner at the email address firstname.lastname@example.org. The email must state the following:
- Applicant’s name.
- Applicant’s parent organization and role in that organization.
- Applicant’s IIUG membership number.
- A brief description about why the applicant would be a good candidate for the role on the IIUG Board.
- A brief description about the attributes that the applicant has and can apply to the work of the IIUG Board.
- A statement acknowledging that the applicant has the time commitment to devote to the work of the IIUG Board that will include, amongst other things, a daily commitment to email correspondence, a monthly commitment to conference calls and at least two Board meetings (normally 3 days plus travel) and attendance and assistance to the IIUG Informix conference in North America (normally 5 days plus travel). For all the events, attendance is compulsory.
- The IIUG Board may, at its discretion, reject any nomination for any reason without disclosing such reason.
- Nominations received after 5pm US Eastern Standard Time on the 27th of February 2017 will not be eligible.
- You may nominate yourself. If nomination is for another person, that person must acknowledge their acceptance of the nomination in a separate email to the Election Commissioner at email@example.com.
- An election will only occur if there are more nominations than Board positions.
- The election will run over a two week period.
- Following the election, the successful nominees will be required to confirm their availability. This will be by way of written correspondence with the Election Commissioner.
- The election result will be officially declared by the Election Commissioner on the 24th of April 2017 and announced via the Insider eNewsletter, IIUG Website or email blast to members.
- The new IIUG Board will take up their responsibilities from the close of the IIUG2017 in Raleigh, NC. There is no specific requirement that new Board members attend the Raleigh conference.
Candidates for the IIUG Board of Directors are selected by the IIUG Nominating Committee who try to find nominees that represent a wide geographical membership as well as a mix of product utilization, and who can meet the many and varied challenges and functions of the Board.
Candidate Selection Process
IIUG members who are interested in running for a seat on the IIUG Board of Directors should submit the completed Nominee Questionnaire below to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the close of the announced deadline for nominations. The resulting nominees are announced prior to the election and candidate statements are posted on the IIUG Website and on the ballot as well.
All currently elected board members are REQUIRED to attend at least two board meetings that could be held anywhere in the world and the annual IIUG Conference. Failure to do so will result in removal from the board. Expenses will be covered as part of being a member of the IIUG Board. Also a one hour conference call is held each month (during business hours). All Board members are expected to be part of this call. Failure to do so, could also result in removal from the IIUG Board. Interested candidates for IIUG Board should clear this with their employer prior to submitting their name as a candidate.
- IIUG Board of Directors Nominee Questionnaire (PDF)
- IIUG Board of Directors Nominee Questionnaire (MS Word version)
IIUG Board Members Duties
Serving on the IIUG Board of Directors is a minimum one-year commitment. It requires travel to meetings, monthly conference calls, and regular e-mail communication with other Board members as described above. The Board meets formally for two to four days up to three times a year, whenever possible during weekends.
In addition to representing and serving Informix users worldwide, Board members are expected to think strategically about the future of the Informix community and their relationship with IBM. Fringe benefits of serving on the IIUG Board include expenses-paid attendance to the IIUG Informix User Conference and all other required meetings, direct contact with IBM executives, early access to product and service news, visibility and leadership development.
To learn more about what it is like to be a member of the IIUG Board of Directors, please see Being an IIUG Board Member. A personal view, by Neil Truby.