Welcome to the IIUG Alert! The IIUG Alert contains time-sensitive material for the IBM Informix community. Please provide feedback via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IBM Informix Conference – Last Chance!
- IIUG Highlights at the IBM Informix Conference
- IIC: Submit ATE & IRM questions via http://www.iiug.org
- Local User Group News
- Last Call for the IBM Informix Configuration Survey!
- XPS 8.32 stuff
- Useful Links
It’s almost here! The IBM Informix Conference (IIC) will kick off on Monday, Oct. 22nd with tutorials and the evening opening reception to a big crowd of Informix product loyalists, partners, press, analysts and the biggest contingent of IIUG members ever.
While IBM Data Management has done a commendable job communicating the Informix product portfolio future direction, IIC will go deeper into detail. It will additionally provide us various opportunities to affect the future of these products through direct interaction with product managers and senior developers. We will also learn how Informix products fit within IBM Data Management’s DB2 family.
Partners in particular will have much to look forward to. IBM will introduce its vision and programs for Informix partners in a conference track that is completely dedicated to partner interests. Find more info at http://www.thenextstep.net/breakout.htm#partners .
If you haven’t registered yet but are still thinking about it… The registration link is right here:
Don’t forget to claim your $200 discount for IIUG members subscribed by October 5, 2001.
2001 IBM Informix Conference
October 21-25, 2001
IIUG will be present at IIC in many ways, including all Ask the Expert and Interactive Roadmap sessions, which will be moderated by IIUG leaders. Other IIUG highlights are:
- IIUG Booth: Whenever the Exhibit Hall is open, starting Monday Oct. 22nd at 5 PM. Stop by to meet leaders of IIUG, submit questions to Ask the Expert and Interactive Roadmap Sessions, become an IIUG member and more.
- IIUG Annual General Session, taking place in the “main tent”. Join us for the first annual IUGGY awards ceremony, the introduction of the 2001-2002 IIUG Board of Directors, and a State of IIUG address by Fred Hubbard, IIUG President: Tuesday, Oct. 23rd, 1-2 PM.
- “Meet the Executives” session, facilitated by Fred Hubbard, IIUG President, and hosting a panel of top IBM Data Management Execs including Don Haderle, Jim Kelly, Alan Grady and Thor Culverhouse: Tuesday, Oct. 23rd, 5-6 PM.
- “Meet the Developers”, a traditional IIUG-sponsored event that brings Informix users and IBM Data Management product management and development staff face to face in a casual setting, which includes food and beverages: Tuesday, Oct. 23rd, 6-8 PM.
IIC: Submit ATE & IRM questions via www.iiug.org
This year IIC will include the all-traditional Ask the Expert (ATE) sessions, to answer questions about current products and features, and new Interactive Roadmap (IRM) sessions, to discuss future product releases and enhancements.
To submit questions in advance to any of these sessions, please click on “Submit Your Questions” and type away. A ‘Submit Your Questions’ link is also located at http://www.iiug.org. Don’t forget to type ATE or IRM at the beginning of each question to facilitate sorting.
Are you aware that there are over 40 Informix local user groups around the world? If you are interested in finding out more about local user group activities in your area, please visit the IIUG web site, click on community and local user groups. If you find a group near you, please make contact with the listed contact. If you are interested in starting a local user group, please send an email to email@example.com . Finally, if you are already involved in a local user group and you notice that the information on the web site is not up to date, please notify James Edmiston – firstname.lastname@example.org or Dawn Shannon – email@example.com.
Due date October 18, 2001 5 PM GMT
What’s in it for you? Find out if you have enough CPUs, disk, and other capabilities. You will be able to contrast your configuration with other similar servers. All configuration data will be treated confidentially. You could also be announced as having winning server characteristics if we are permitted to disclose your identity and company name.
Participants will receive earlier access to the survey results and a small memento as a token of our appreciation.
More details at: /util/db_performance.html
The newest version of XPS, Version 8.32, is now available. This new version delivers on IBM’s commitment to support XPS and its users and is more robust than ever thanks to significant usability, supportability, and quality improvements
A simplified upgrade process means users can quickly take advantage of the new product’s benefits. These include improved administrative efficiency, improved operational efficiency, improved supportability over older versions, and added support for HP11.i and AIX 5.1 (32-bit), for those interested in moving to these state-of-the-art hardware platforms.
With this release, a number of customer-reported bugs have been attacked, and that has reduced the time required to administer and manage the database environment.
IBM / Informix field personnel can solve your query plan issues more quickly now, thanks to the addition of several new optimizer directives. Together with directives already present in previous XPS versions, these new directives can be used to force various query plans during optimization.
Several new features improve database security, simplify query construction for application developers, and enhance fail over support.
For more information contact Mohan Natraj, Worldwide Marketing Manager, XPS at firstname.lastname@example.org .
To learn more about XPS, visit
- IBM Informix
- IBM Informix Training
- IBM Informix Certification
- New Features of IDS 9.3 – Technical Web Cast Replay
- Informix Product Family – Informix Portfolio: Future Directions, Updated Version
- IBM Developer Works – Tools, Code and Tutorials for Open-Standards Based Development
Closing and Credits
The International Informix Users Group (IIUG) is an international organization designed to enhance communications between Informix and its worldwide user community. The IIUG now has over 13,000 members and enjoys major support from the IBM Data Management division. We also help local user groups get started and promoted.
Sources: IIUG Board of Directors
Editor: Rob Vorbroker and Fred Hubbard, IIUG Board of Directors
For comments, please e-mail to email@example.com